Friday, February 03, 2006

Superman's Kryptonite

Why is it that people like different things? Take movies for example: some people can't stand action films, others cannot handle scary films... whilst others revel in hiding behind a quilt in the beanbag on the floor, squealing in terror.... how can people all like/hate different things.

I had a conversation last night with my wife about Smallville.... you know, the TV show about the teenage Superman/Clark Kent. She said, and I quote, "it's shit". Now, thats a fairly wide blanket to throw over a show she's never watched. So I asked her to justify it. She replied by saying she hated sci-fi, and that Superman (in all his film and TV incarnations) fit neatly into that genre. I asked her to tell me why she hated Superman (and for that matter, Wonder Woman, another name she brought into the mix) not just reiterate that she hated all programmes thusly related. "They are stupid... I hate sci-fi, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Starship Troopers". Okay, but still not an answer. Hating something, as well as liking something, should be able to quantify why. Superman might be childish to most people, but as an avid comic book reader for ten years of my life, i found the attitude to be wholly dismissive with little reason. Just hating something for no apparent reason is not good enough. If I hate something, I can at least explain why I hate something. What I find repulsive, or repugnant about what it is that I hate. Just saying "i hate that" without backing it up is pointless and often annoying.

I guess this hilights the fact that many people around the world "hate" things for different reasons, no matter how trivial those reasons are. Hating other races or religions, hating different colours or technologies, hating people for driving too slow...... you know when you meet somebody that for some reason, you just dont like? They haven't done anything wrong, and they are probably very nice people, but you just dislike them? That doesnt happen often, but I often think about the "why" in what I don't like about them. Why don't I like somebody, should never be followed up with the simplistic line of "they're shit". If you are going to dislike something, be it a person, TV show, Movie, style of music, type of food or even a model of car, then you should be able to justify it without the almight "I don't know, its just crap" line. Too many people dont think about what they are saying when they say they "hate" something in an off the cuff remark like "i hate that TV show", but when asked why, they struggle to justify that statement.

hating Superman is like hating Santa Claus. You dont have to read the comics, or watch the movies, or even appreciate the history of the character, but just to say "it's shit" without backing that up with a why you think it's like that shows a lack of understanding or appreciation for other peoples opinions.

Another thing that annoys me are people that walk up to pedestrian crosssings, press the button, and then cross the road without waiting for the lights to change. Then, when the lights change, all the cars have to stop for no reason. Happened to me this morning, so I wound down my window and thankked the inconsiderate so-and-so for wasting my time taking her dog for a walk. nice leash by the way. If you want to cross the road at a pedestrian crossing, wait for the lights to change. Otherwise, go somewhere else and cross and hope you don't get skittled.

Anyway, back to work for me now.

PS: Just wanted to type Emmas last name, on the record, for the last time before she changes forever tomorrow morning at about 10:45am. Emma Murphy, all the best for tomorrow and the future.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your wife read this? Hello, Lisa, are you there?

10:52 AM  
Blogger Fernby said...

No, She's not here. she hates computers. they're "anti-social" and thusly, doesnt go on them.

Plus, its MY outlet.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Green Lantern said...

Now, these are issues that should be highlighted before you get married...

I beleive that not liking sci-fi is grounds for divorce in several countries that I cannot name because I'm probably making it all up...

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but in Saudi Arabia not giving your wife coffee is grounds for her to divorce you. Strange but true.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

I think I would have to agree with the Saudi's. If my husband denied me coffee (or chocolate), there'd be consequences and he'd be getting of lightly with a divorce!
hahaha.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home