Friday, January 06, 2006

Inviting Trouble

I know its been a while since I last blogged, so sorry about that. Christmas holidays and the busy season have prevented me from logging in and going hard at the blogging.

Of late I have been wondering about the accepted level of friendliness between neighbours. Here's the situation. Our neighbours are a bunch of young lads who like to party. Not super-hard, but they love a beer, a smoke and last night I found out they like a few party drugs as well. Extacy and Meth not withstanding, they seem to be decent enough guys.
My wife, bless her, has taken to smoking outside recently, and the lads next door seem to like that, because they come outside to smoke as well. Sometimes I go out and have a chat as well, although not for too long because I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. The other day, I was at my computer upstairs when lisa came up, grabbed her CD collection and went back downstairs. I then heard music playing, quite loudly. I went down to get a Coke and found her and James, one of the neighbours, sitting on the loungeroom floor listening to music. He appeared to be drinking white wine (or possibly champagne), and both were smoking like chimneys. Now, friend or no, I felt a little uncomfortable about it. After a while of listening to the most godawful music written for the human ear, I went back downstairs and sat with them, just to be polite. Then Jame's cousin came over, and sat down with us. And then one of their mates came over with a slab of beer and crashed on the floor. So, all smoking no dancing style right? Lisa opened the windows to let out some smoke, kissed me on the forehead and then went to bed. Leaving me with the boys I really didn't want there in the first place. Not wanting to look like a weirdo, I laughed and joked with them for about half an hour, and then told them to rack off so I could go to bed. They left and i went to bed a little pissed.

So I was thinking afterwards: if I had invited the lads over, and not Lisa, I wouldn't have felt to insecure, would I? Am i jealous of the fact that Lisa is friends with the neighbours and I am not all that impressed with them? And had they been chicks instead of guys, would I have been worried? Actually, I probably wouldn't have been, but I can guess that Lisa might have felt the same had I invited a girl over for a chat. She would have given me an earful. Am I right to be a little annoyed with what happened? Is it really worth the effort to make a point of something about it, or should I just leave it. I guess this will be "to be continued" until the next time. Then I might say something.

It's enough to drive a man to drink.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always it is worth talking about things with your wife. Either your marriage will become one where you talk about things, or where you resent things. Bringing this sort of thing up now looks hard, but in 99.9997% of cases it will save pain later on.

That's not to say you should demand that these guys never come over again - just bring it up as something to discuss (as queeny has suggested above). Talking about things with your wife is always a pattern worth getting into.

My $0.02.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

Definitely agree with both of the above.

when is the next Pad Nite going to be? It better be before I go back to Korea!!!

oh, and my Korea movie is done :) so will have to arrange to have people over to watch it soon.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home